Every family, regardless of how healthy their lifestyle, goes through times of imbalance.
And, in the heat and stress of the moment, its easy to forget you probably have everything you need to heal yourself and your family right under your own roof.
Getting ahead of the game and preparing for the worst by stocking your aromatherapy kit, and mixing up some tried and true essential oil home remedies can be a life-saver when sickness hits.
Dont get me wrong, I love my pre-made supplements and tinctures as much as the next health-conscious parent.
But, since discovering the Young Living Essential Oils Ive enjoyed learning how to make super simple, fast and easy home remedies that save time and money. Check out Home Detox Part 2Doctor-Mama Home Remedy recipes below:
5-Minute Aromatic Immunity Tea
Steep your favorite Herbal Tea (or the juice of 1 lemon) for 5 mins and add one drop of the following oils:
Stir well to combine, and add a teaspoon of coconut oil or raw honey if desired.
DIY Immunity Caps OR Roll-on
Using a dropper, combine the following in a capsule OR put in roller bottle for topical use with ¼-1/2 teaspoon carrier oil
- 3 drops Frankincense
- 1 drop Oregano
- 5 drops Thieves
- 5 drops Lemongrass
Ear and Sinus Drainage Technique
I had SUCH awesome feedback after featuring this technique on YouTube a few months ago, I thought it was worth another mention.
This is one of those must-have DIY techniques parents will NEVER want to be without. Please share!
A quick personal story on this.
While traveling a couple weeks ago, I took my daughter swimming in a pool for the first time (yes, like many crunchy parents I avoid public pools for the chemicals and potential cleanliness issues). We needed some entertainment while my husband was in a conference, the pool looked so nice, and she had a blast.
Sure enough, on the plane ride home she started getting congested from the water in her ears. I performed the ear and sinus drainage technique right away and she was on-the-mend quickly.
Try this one at home, you wont regret it.
DIY Essential Oil Throat Spray
This is great to use directly into your mouth and throat, and to spray in areas such as the car, airplane, hotel rooms, house, etc.
Fill a stainless steel spray bottle with ½ cup of distilled water
- 10 Drops of Thieves
- 2 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil if needing to help with sinus drainage
- 2 Drops of Lemon Essential Oil
The Ultimate Home Remedy: Castor oil packs
From supporting immunity, inflammatory response, hormonal balance and detoxification, to helping ease cramps, PMS, skin issues, and speed recovery, castor oil packs are where its at!
Learn about all the benefits, and which oils to use in this video: How to Make a Castor Oil Pack (using essential oils).
Soothing Coconut Oil Chest Rub
Have you given up trying to find an all-natural chest rub strong enough to support normal night time breathing?
Before you reach for that nasty petroleum-and-menthol-based blue bottle, try my go-to-DIY recipe:
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 5-10 drops RC or Raven Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5-10 10 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Mix everything together and store in a glass mason jar.
The coconut oil will solidify at room temperature and you can apply as needed. Adjust essential oil quantities to suit.
*Using the Young Living Oils is key, because they have a much stronger aroma than other oils—and strength is what counts in an effective chest rub.e
Homemade Garlic Oil for Ears and Feet
I featured this recipe in one of my first posts last year: Everything you Need to Know About Ear Infections (that your doctor wont tell you), Part 2, and it couldnt be easier.
You can apply this directly to the ear canal (or rub on the feet) using a dropper bottle.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Warm the oil slightly in a pan on the stove over low heat (don’t make it hot, just warm to the touch).
- Place the oil and garlic in the container put on the lid.
- For best results, let the oil and garlic infuse overnight for use the next day. If you need a quick remedy, you can use some of the oil within 2-3 hours.
- When ready to use, use your clean finger to rub the oil around the outside of the ear or on the infected area.
- You may also use your finger to rub some at the entrance to the ear and allow one or two drops to enter the ear canal.
- A drop or two can also be placed inside the ear, or on a cotton ball inserted the ear.
Garlic/Essential oil Foot Pack (for nighttime healing)
When extra nighttime healing is required, or taking remedies via mouth is not an option, nothing beats an old fashioned garlic foot pack. This one is super-charged with essential oils.
- Smash several cloves of garlic with the back of a knife or meat mallet (they dont have to be minced, just broken up a bit).
- Combine smashed garlic with 5 drops of ImmuPower or Thieves, and a couple tablespoons olive or coconut oil (dilute further for sensitive skin).
- Apply the mixture directly to the feet, wrap in saran wrap, cover with a pair of old socks, and leave on overnight.
- Repeat as needed.
Garlic and honey syrup with Cinnamon Bark Oil
Cinnamon bark essential oil is one of the BEST oils for supporting normal bacterial balance and immunity, and it tastes GREAT. Just check out this study.
- Combine 1/4 cup raw honey with 3-5 smashed garlic cloves.
- Let sit 24-72 hours and remove the garlic cloves.
- Mix in 5 drops cinnamon bark essential oil.
- Take a teaspoon as needed.
If youve not yet explored how Young Living Essential Oils can keep your family healthy, click over to our Premium Starter Kit page to learn more. I can tell you as a parent and doctor, they are my go-to remedy for keeping my little girl healthy.
I am always up for feedback on these doctor-mama recipes and would love to hear about your tried and true home remedies in the comments section below.
Be sure to share with your family and friends.
Also, as a follow-up to our last post on DIY cleaning products, I wanted to share this awesome post/infographic on 11 Simple DIY Green Cleaning Products for a Healthier Home from upstairsdownstairscleaningservice.
It includes a DIY bleach alternative and oven cleaner I cant wait to try. Id love to hear your feedback on their recipes.
Have a happy and healthy week!