For those who have not heard I am writing this in eager anticipation of the birth of our second child.
And boy has this pregnancy been different than my first!
New extended forms of nausea I had never thought possible, new cravings, new emotions, and new sensations.
All this (plus my previous pregnancy with Veyda) inspired me to share my best essential oils for ALL the magical (and sometimes not-so-magical) experiences of a natural pregnancy.
How to use essential oils safely during pregnancy
Before we go on, its important to educate yourself on oil safety during pregnancy.
Though there are no definitive rules or conclusive studies about which oils should be avoided, some women and their healthcare providers choose to avoid the following:
- Clary Sage
- Idaho Tansy/Hyssop
Still unsure about using oils during pregnancy?
Check with your women's health provider, aromatherapist, or integrative doctor if you have any doubts on which oils are right for you and your baby.
The best essential oils for pregnancy
Though peppermint was my go-to oil for nausea with this little one, I have used the following oils successfully in practice and with Veyda:
- Nausea and fatigue: Peppermint
- Peaceful sleep: Gentle Baby™, Stress Away™, Frankincense, Lavender
- Leg cramps: Lavender and Stress Away
- Temporary swelling: Lemon, Lavender, and Stress Away
- Healthy skin: Frankincense and Lavender
- Anxiousness or fear: Gentle Baby, Stress Away
- Mood swings: Joy™, Frankincense, Lavender (and plenty of rest!)
Remember, these recommendations are to support a normal pregnancy. If you experience any severe or unusual symptoms seek advice from your prenatal care provider immediately.
Essential oils to support natural labor and delivery
Since every woman labors and delivers differently, its a good idea to keep several oils with you during the process. If you plan to deliver outside your home, be sure to have them packed and ready-to-go in your overnight bag.
Here are my top recommendations:
- Peppermint: for energy, stamina, and uplifting refreshment.
- Lavender: to create peace and calm (I will also use this on my maxi pads to help support normal healing post-deliver).
- Geranium: will help balance and ground you, while supporting your strong female energy during this process.
- PanAway®, Peace and Calming®, and Valor II™: I will keep these by my side for early labor, and to help with back labor, discomfort, and emotions.
Essential oils for postpartum health
- Gentle Baby: For restlessness (in mom and baby), fussiness (in baby), stretch marks, and insomnia.
- Joy, Frankincense, Lavender: To help with normal mood swings.
- Lavender: used on maxi pads to speed healing.
- Stress Away: because having a new baby comes with a lot of joy, excitement, and STRESS.
As you can see, from nausea and leg cramps, to a more comfortable labor and speedy recovery, essentials oils provide an unending source of support, relief, and pleasure for expectant mothers and their families.
Now over to you! What are your favorite oils for pregnancy, labor and delivery, and postpartum health?
Nothing to do now but put your feet up and wait for this little miracle to arrive
oh, and finish up all those last-minute before-baby details, continue unpacking boxes, and keep tabs on Veydabetter grab some Stress Away.
Expecting and excited,
Disclaimer: The information on this website is based upon my research and personal use of Young Living Essential Oils. Although I am a chiropractic physician, a licensed drug-less practitioner and a momma that blogs, products and techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.