Do you find it disturbing how many children are sick these days?
Over 11% suffer from depression. (isn’t childhood supposed to embody the complete opposite of depression?)
The statistics are frightening, maddening, and heartbreaking to say the least.
With such advances in medicine why are our kids so sick? Why can’t modern medicine help? Why aren’t people more outraged? And what’s a parent to do?
As a practitioner who sees sick children frequently, I have seen miraculous results come from educating parents on the Top 11 Food Toxins to Keep out of Your Children’s Reach.
As a concerned parent myself, I am so excited to share this information with you today. My hope is you will pass it on, so we can see the beginning of the END of childhood illness.
Why what was “good enough” for us isn’t good enough for our kids
I heard a debate on the radio the other day. A DJ was harping on parents who he viewed as “coddling” their kids by buying them organic and natural foods.
He argued that when he was a kid he just ate “normal” food and turned out fine.
And you know what? He’s partly right.
Even a generation ago kids generally did turn out OK even if they ate a standard American diet. Childhood illnesses weren’t rampant like they are today.
Conditions like autism and ADD weren’t even in the mainstream. And childhood obesity was not the norm.
What he and many parents fail to realize, is the food we ate, the air we breathed, the medicine we took, the water we drank as children was completely different than what our children have today.
The Toxin Layering Effect
We are living in a time of unprecedented toxicity. There are currently over 75,000 chemicals circulating in our air, water, and food.
The amount of toxins children as exposed to before birth trumps anything in recorded history.
Even when a mother chooses to offer her baby nature’s perfect food, breast milk, it still contains traces of rocket fuel, BPA, pesticides, and many other unsavory toxins.
Babies and children are especially vulnerable, because they absorb substances faster and have more difficulty eliminating them. Their kidneys and liver are immature and cannot excrete foreign compounds as fast as adults.
Our kids are inundated with chemicals from the get-go…and both science and common sense will tell you it’s diminishing their health.
Toxins are stealing their childhood.
Who is protecting our children?
Unfortunately not who you’d think.
Though government agencies like the FDA and EPA are supposed to have our best interests at heart, they have not lived up to their responsibilities especially when it comes to our children’s health.
For example, it is widely recognized that pesticides are unsafe for children and cause cancer in countless animal studies, yet there is very little government support for reducing pesticide use. In fact, with big agriculture deep in the pockets of Washington, the opposite is true.
Despite the fact that DEET, found in most bug sprays, has been proven toxic and even life-threatening, the EPA still approves its unlimited use in young children. For more on this please read my previous post.
While the FDA continues to approve questionable and controversial drugs to treat childhood illness.
It is up to us as parents, to be the guardians at the gate.
We Can’t Control Everything, But We CAN Control What We Eat
With a problem this big, it’s easy to become overwhelmed, check out, and just hope for the best. I believe that’s why more parent’s aren’t demanding answers, the problems just seems too big to overcome.
But our kids need us to do more than that.
There is a solution, an attainable starting point, and it’s actually a simple one.
Start paying more attention to what your family is really eating.
Top 11 Food Toxins to Keep Out of Your Children’s Reach
When I talk to patients about eating healthy most are eager to get on board, yet almost everyone is confused and overwhelmed about what they should and shouldn’t be eating.
You probably share the same concerns.
We’re going to make it really simple today. Help your children (and yourself) by avoiding these 11 food toxins and you’ll be on your way to a much healthier, happier family.
1. Heavy Metals—mercury has become a big problem in many large and medium size fish such as tuna, snapper, and halibut; aluminum is common in canned and foil lined packaged foods (ever looked inside those baby food pouches?) and sodas; arsenic is an issue in non-organic chicken, conventional rice, and apple juice.
2. Highly processed oils—such as hydrogenated oils, shortening, canola, cottonseed, corn, soy, cooking oils, and peanut oil.
3. Sugar, sweeteners, and artificial sweeteners—steer clear of sugar, evaporated cane juice, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, turbinado sugar, agave, and especially artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose aka Splenda®, Acesulfame K aka acesulfame potassium, neotame, and saccharin.
4. MSG—did you know there are over 40 names for MSG? You can avoid a LOT by looking for the words “hydrolyzed” and “yeast extracts” on labels. For a full list visit: truthinlabeling.com.
5. Artificial Preservatives—the good news isfood companies have gotten a lot better about using natural preservatives. A few to watch out for include, BHA, BHT, and EDTA.
6. Artificial AND Natural Flavors—artificial flavors are easy to spot. But also beware of the term “natural flavors”, which can include anything from beaver anal gland extract to sawdust (AKA cellulose). If it begins in nature it’s fair game under the “natural flavor” label, and many “natural” food companies use these.
7. Plastics…beyond BPA—though the removal of BPA from food packaging is a step in the right direction, there are many more poisonous chemicals in plastics yet to be discovered.
This is especially important when buying foods that can be microwaved in their own containers, and acidic foods stored in plastic, like orange or tomato juice. I also steer clear of bottled water unless it’s stored in glass.
A little-known fact: most canned products use liners that are full of BPA. If you used canned foods, look for BPA-free labels from brands such as Eden Foods®.
8. GMOs—Would you believe that despite studies linking GMOs to numerous health conditions, from GI issues to cancer, they are contained within about 80% of our foods?
Protect your family by avoiding high-risk GMO foods such as: soy, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, cottonseed, canola, zucchini/yellow squash, Hawaiian pineapple, sugar (most refined sugar is from GM sugar beets), non-organic dairy (cows are now fed GM feed and hay).
When you buy organic, it’s always non-GMO. For more on choosing GMO-free foods, visit: nongmoproject.org.
9. Refined Flour—avoid white and high gluten flours, and keep in mind most “whole grain” products are only made with a small percentage of whole grain. Opt for gluten-free products, spelt, or sprouted grain. Better yet, use almond flour and coconut flour.
10. Highly sprayed produce—though buying 100% organic is not always an option, DO opt for organic on the “dirty dozen” produce items: apples, strawberries, grapes, celery, peaches, spinach, bell peppers, imported nectarines, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, potatoes, imported snap peas.
11. Ammonia—found in 70% mainstream ground beef. Ever heard of the now infamous pink slime, a product added to ground beef to help kill E. Coli? Ammonia is its #1 ingredient.
Funny enough, a 2009 Pulitzer Prize winning article in New York Times highlighted that numerous government reports have connected the product with elevated levels of disease-causing E. coli bacteria. So there is zero benefit to eating it.
The best way to avoid it is to buy organic or grass-fed beef.
Small Steps Toward a Healthy Future
Our children are born into this world and into our specific care with a purpose. They rely on us to steward them toward a healthy future.
It is up to us to protect them, nourish them, and give them all the benefits of a healthy life no matter how grim the circumstances may appear.
If you feel overwhelmed, take heart. Despite the fact we live in a toxic, imperfect world there is still SO MUCH we can do to protect our children.
Start by avoiding these 11 toxic foods, and you will be light years ahead of the herd…with healthy, happy kids to boot.
What steps do you take to protect your kids from toxicity? Do you have a health testimonial to share about changing your child’s diet or environment? What encouragement or advice do you wish someone had offered you when you started to detox and live your life naturally?
It takes a village! Support each other in the comments section below.